[Terrapreta] compost and charcoal

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 10:23:48 EST 2007

I love it David.

And it would suggest an answer to the question that has vexed the modern
mind -- how did the ancient indians figure all this out? The answer might
that they used the ancient wisdom and not the modern mind.

They didn't take things apart and analyze the pieces. Instead they relied on
a cummulative oral history that reported many stories about nature, it's
changes, and what worked or did not work for the ancestors of the place.

In other words, nature conducted the experiment and human beings carried
around the results.Today, we've lost that history, that long-term connection
to place. There's not much that we can do other than try to figure it out in
the lab.

But, wait --

Isn't that what the gardeners are doing (sort of) with all that TP potting
soil?

And, might it be useful to try build a little more local history into our
modern laboratory approach?

OK, just doing a bit of mental meandering.

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/