[Terrapreta] Fwd: compost and charcoal

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 11:53:22 EST 2007

Thank you David,

I don't think that you are quibbling at all. Language has a way of settling
in and being VERY difficult to change. I still have wrestle with the fact
that most people think that tree planting is reforestation.

Anyway, I considered the options and have decided to use the term "Agrichar"
for several reasons:

1) it is friendly to conventional agricultural folk and doesn't set a
polarity or opposition from our movement;

2) it is the term used in Ken Salazar's Senate Bill;

3) it doesn't sound alternative or on the far edge.

I just went back to change text in my current blog missive. Here's an
out-of-context quote showing a distinction of terms,

"But there's a hitch -- the energy market is demanding charcoal as fuel not
as a soil amendment. What will cause farmers to make the longer-term
investment in soil restoration rather than reap immediate profits from
selling agrichar as charcoal?"

My full post is here:
http://lougold.blogspot.com/2007/11/biofuels-are-only-part-of-solution.html

BTW, I really welcome criticism and suggestions about my style, word useage
and concepts. I plan to do a lot of terra preta storytelling and this forum
is one of the places where I'm polishing my approach.

Thanks to all.

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/