[Terrapreta] Busting up lump charcoal for soil incorporation

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Nov 26 15:31:56 EST 2007

Dear Alan

That is a very interesting and practical problem. The foloowing
suggestions may, or may not work or be appropriate for you, but if not,
they might trigger a better idea:
1: Put the charcoal through a garden shredder. Use a tremporary cover
over teh feed chute, to minimize inflow of air, and loss of charcoal dust.
2: Put the charcoal through a meat grinder.
3: Put the charcoal in burlap bags, place on paved driveway, and drive
back and forth over the bag.
4: Hire some kids to break up the charcoal for $1 per bag. Use a hammer
and plate or heavy plank.
5: If you can access an old wringer-washer, build a feed chute out of
sheet metal, and crush with the rollers.
6: If there are any Universities teaching Soil Sciences, Soil testing
Laboratories, or Assy Offices in your area, they might run the charcoal
through their sample crushers for you.

Please let us know what ultimate solution you decide to go with.

Best wishes,

Kevin