[Terrapreta] compost and charcoal

Saibhaskar Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 03:06:16 EST 2007

Dear All,

Gerald Van Koeverden >What about adding charcoal to the compost pile at the
beginning of
> the process?

This is a great idea. I remember a traditional practice in India. People
dump the charcoal and ash from their stoves in a pit along with cattle
dung+urine (some part) +left over fodder grass from their respective cattle
sheds, etc. Over a period of time i.e., about 1 year, it develops into a
nice compost called Farm Yard Manure (FYM). Such FYM pits are found close to
the villages. This FYM is used extensively by the farmers in India. Yes,
there is need for scientific research on this. I am willing to do some
experiments in this regard.

With regards,

Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy
http://www.e-geo.org