[Terrapreta] Fwd: compost and charcoal

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Nov 27 05:16:26 EST 2007

Dear Michael

Michael Bailes wrote:

>     *A.   What materials should not be composted? *
>     Most ashes are safe to mix into your compost heap, but coal ashes
>     are not. They have excessive amounts of both sulfur and iron,
>     amounts that are toxic to plants.
>

> Do you think Gerrit that this would apply to all coals from all areas?
> I am especially thinking of Victorian Brown Coal which just seems a
> few steps up from compost and peat and contains 7 holds a great deal
> of water.
> It my be that it might form a carbon-rich soil amendment on its own.(?)
You raise a very good point. Firstly, it is wrong to say that "most
ashes are safe" without specifying the quantity. Some wood ashes are
safe, when growing some crops, when added up to a particular maximum
level. The amount of "clean" wood ash that can be added with benefit and
no detriment to a crop of blueberries or rhododendrons is a lot less
than  can be added to a crop of beans. On the other hand, wood ash from
demolition of old buildings containing lead based paint, or from the
disposal of CCA treated wood may be toxic at very low levels.

Iron and sulfur are usually only "bad" under coinditions of low pH. On
the other hand, if adequate lime was added with the coal ash, the
acidifying characteristics of coal ash could be neutralized, so that
there was no detrimental effects to plant health even with relatively
large levels of addition. Additionally, high levels of "acidic" coal ash
could be remarkably beneficial to Dr. Reddy's work treating alkaline soils.

While Gerrit was quoting someone in reference to coal ASH, you seem to
be referring to additions of unburned brown coal. The unburned brown
coal could be an excellent soil addition for the same reasons and under
the same circumstances where biomass charcoal was beneficial. Indeed,
there may already be a commercially proven confirmation of your idea...
I understand that Leland "Tom" Taylor is associated with a company that
sells a mined soil amendment that might be close to your brown coal
concept. Indeed, Victorian Brown Coal, and Leland's product may be an
excellent source of trace elements and micronutrients.

Best wishes,

Kevin