[Terrapreta] Terra Preta - not just about charcoal in soil

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Oct 3 13:52:25 EDT 2007

Hi Jon,

"... since microbes get 1st priority on soil nutrients ahead of plants."  <- Now that statement makes a great deal of sense.  I think it is a key to what is occurring when charcoal amendments alone to soil, tends to make nitrogen less available for uptake by plants.  More than one source on this list has suggested that charcoal enhances the growth of soil microbe populations.  Some have even come up with using some lab tests to validate this (Dr. Christoph Steiner).  Soil microbes do also use Nitrogen when they grow many of their living structures (As David Yarrow rightly suggests; amino acids, proteins, DNA, and etc.).

I probably will try to do some experiments before I act on any unproven hypothesis in any sort of large scale or commercial manner.  I would never consider that a waste of time.  I think "good science" leads to "sound engineering".  The "I guess, by gosh, by golly crowd" is unsuccessfully trying to sell water-fueled cars on YouTube.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVhXrvCCILw <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVhXrvCCILw>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMSUe76PZLQ <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMSUe76PZLQ>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkjB-u15UgI <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkjB-u15UgI>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzTtm-QwtI <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzTtm-QwtI>
http://www.overunity.com/<http://www.overunity.com/>
http://www.h2earth.org/main.htm<http://www.h2earth.org/main.htm>

It turns out sometimes, that just a little science can be "bad science", with fruitless outcomes.  Maybe?