[Terrapreta] carbon sequestration but where is TP?

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:11:01 EDT 2007

On 11/10/2007, Brian Hans <bhans at earthmimic.com> wrote:

> If I could be so bold as to offer a few reasons;
>
> As I and others have pointed out, the LifeCycle analysis of most char
> systems doesnt seem to offer any real advantage overall.

 How come?

 Additionally, TP is a relatively new science and as the banter on this site
> shows, is still pretty thin in real data. Example is show me a study where
> we can see the charcoal we make now will remain charcoal in the soil for 100
> + years... ?

New to who?
the Amazonian Indians 2-3,000 years
The Japanese 100+ years.
Many ethnic and aboriginal communities-eons.

What is new is pyrolysis which mens most toxic gasses are not  released
forming char; and you can produce energy- electricty or bio-feuls as well

Lastly and likely most importantly, there are no major corp's pushing char
> because they dont see economic models in a distributive productionlike char
> in the fields would likely be. Its much easier to think how someone is going
> to make $ on a $200m project injecting CO2 into a well from a coal plant
> than a whole bunch of farmers making charcoal out of stumps and corn cobs...
> and unfortunately $ talks.

Not true, many big Agribusinesses in Australia are very interested because
of the potential savings in fertliser and water
Dow Corp is no doubt not interested. But after the revolution they will all
be taken out and shot anyway.:)

On a bright note...I do see this worm starting to turn, the word is getting
> out. The more data we have (ground truth), the louder the voice becomes.
> Also, the economy of CO2 is still in its infancy, its still to fully mature.

Yes I agree, but still you would think the pennies would be starting to drop
by now.

There is a huge amount of R& D happening. But this distracts many Pyrolysis
firms from their primary objective selling pyrolysis units to those with big
organic waste disposal problems.

The group needs to remember that even tho the technology is 1000's of years
> old, we are all still early adopters.

Does that mean as a race we are criminally insane, dumb,  or just slow?

Brian Hans

>   MA

Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf