[Terrapreta] urine & terra preta experiments in the Philippines

Dr. Robert Holmer rholmer at xu.edu.ph
Wed Oct 17 14:42:46 EDT 2007

Dear David and Group Members,

We are presently conducting the study “The Effect of Bio-Char Soil
Amendments and Urine Application on Yield and Quality Parameters of Sweet
Corn (Zea mays var. rugosa), Eggplant (Solanum melongena),  Bitter Gourd
(Momordica charantia) and Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum)” to determine how
a combination of bio-char soil amendments and urine application will affect
the yield and quality parameters of different vegetables under tropical
lowland conditions (HYPERLINK
"http://puvep.xu.edu.ph/snews/ecological_sanitation/krc_ecosan/"http://puvep
.xu.edu.ph/snews/ecological_sanitation/krc_ecosan/).

We have introduced so-called allotment gardens to several urban poor
communities in Cagayan de Oro City (Mindanao, Philippines) in cooperation
with the city government. All these gardens have so-called “urine-diversion
dehydration toilets” to segregate, store, treat and reuse human faeces and
urine in agriculture. A German guest student introduced to us the “Terra
Preta” concept which we found very appealing and appropriate to the local
conditions. I always thought that the indigenous communities in the Amazon
must have used also human excrements (aside of animal manures) to provide
the necessary nutrients to make these soils so productive.

We’ll keep you posted on the results of our studies.

Kind greetings,

Robert J. Holmer

Periurban Vegetable Project (PUVeP)

Xavier University College of Agriculture

Manresa Farm

Fr. Masterson Ave

9000 Cagayan de Oro City

PHILIPPINES