[Terrapreta] New Zealanders on the list!

naomi luckett naomiluckett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:22:03 EDT 2007

Kia ora!

The Agmardt project has largley been 'muscled' in on by the Government who
have elected to invest in the creation of two professorships to study the
production and use of biochar. The 2 professorships are currently going
through the selection process with several universities showing an
interest,and are due to be elected in the very near future. One chair will
be for research into pyrolysis processing and the other biochar and soil
science.
They will be supported by a one off grant for NZ$1.25 mil next year, with a
total of NZ$3.25 mil by 2011.

http://www.maf.govt.nz/climatechange/poa-investment-sheets/investment-sheet-biochar.pdf

This is part of our nation's wider climate change policy and is great news
for those pushing for solutions and movement in the biochar 'world'.
Hopefully other governments will also start investing in research and
development of biochar.

Naomi.
As an aside, I now have 20 schools in my local area, participating in
biochar 'research' via the kids kit (http://bionecho.org/charcoalab) , that
is almost 10,000 kids aged between 8 and 18!
And plan to have 100 schools finished by February...almost 50,000 kids!!!!