[Terrapreta] Praire is natures way of making terra preta.

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Sep 1 13:05:27 EDT 2007

Hi Tom,

Good question, Tom.  I have wondered, too, about really how much charcoal is left on soil when there is an "open-air" burn of the plants on top of it?  One day, I was pondering about how the Amazonian's were able to start a burn and have it charred, rather than burn?  My next thought from "how to quench a fire" came as "it rains in the Amazon every day".  I wonder if anyone has studied how much carbon you can pile up on the soil, if you get a the fire re-started just when it has stopped raining, and then later in the day, rain puts the fire out again?  Then, do that every day?

Your story about machine burning the residues from seed grass harvesting is very interesting.  Do you think it shows that there is hardly enough biomass on grassland to consider making char out of it, because you would have to repeat the process every year?
Maybe this is part of why the Amazonian's succeeded so well with TP?   Was it because they were in a jungle with 350' hardwoods standing above it, containing an enormous tonnage of standing biomass ?

Kevin, Bob, Jon, ... No, I don't know for an absolute fact that there was not a jungle in South America 2500 years ago.  But, I think that maybe there was, for whatever that's worth.

"Where is the data?"  You're thrust for us to focus on the scientific rigor is refreshing, Tom.