[Terrapreta] Charcoal Specification

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Sep 3 14:25:23 EDT 2007

Hi Christelle,

In principle, I like this idea of having an "open-source" online databases of experimental results with biochar.  I think there are a few others in this group, perhaps, who would agree.  Still others might agree and contribute data, consultation, or management services for the database.

I think there are some issues regarding "pride of authorship", where someone might submit data, and force the issue of posting it in the public database, even though other participants in the "data-sharing" arrangement might not want this.  The problem is not for the other reviewers who also have knowledge and maybe have made contributions.  They can discern "good experimental data" versus "bad experimental data" for themselves.  Or, this could be monitored by a database content editor, maybe?  It could be a concern for the public lay persons interpretation of the data, though.

Otherwise, there is the issue of "proprietary" information.  Sometimes, if the experimental data is very compelling, there is an economic advantage to not sharing that information, but rather retaining that "nugget" and developing it yourself.  This really then can effect the content and the quality of the data, which is being put in such a database.  It can end up lacking any real "leading edge" information.

I don't know the solution to this kind of uncooperativeness.  When we are all operating independently, collaboration and cooperation, peer reviews, data sharing, and critical acceptance all become hard topics between us at times.

I think I would suggest that this be a "closed list", at least at first.  Member/contributors only for a time.  Any contributions should be put for review by the group before it is allowed to be contributed.  When there are concerns over proprietary information being disclosed, then the contributor can decide to disclose all or part of the information, or not, themselves.  They can request NON-DISCLOSURE documents be signed, if they wish, to protect any information they disclose to anyone.

I think this sort of thing has been tried before, even for 'biochar'.  I'd guess that the lack of contributions is partly to do with these above stated issues.  Although I don't know.  I think you may find this a very interesting exercise, to evoke contributions to a "shared experimental test database" from this disparate group.