[Terrapreta] Charcoal Specification

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Sep 5 20:33:04 EDT 2007

Hi Christelle,

This all sounds very good.  I think the "bread(proof) is in the pudding".  Should we nominate reviewers, and/or take turns?  Should all of the reviewers be members, database subscribers, or contributors?  Will their be some formal submission rules for the reviewers to use when deciding about full publication of a submission in the database?

Could we have an "open review" phase, first, for the whole group of subscribers with database access?  Perhaps we could all first vote for submissions, after an "open" presentation to the whole group, with an experiment description and summary results at minimum?   We could tally votes from the group, "yes/no" for more formal review by the review committee (or not), and with a quorum of votes deciding (majority of the subscriber-ship), then send the data on to the review committee.  This could save the review committee members from having to review "dogs that don't hunt".  This might also help the database administrator, if the group "weeds out" experiments before the fully detailed experimental data needs to be entered into the database.

That was a question I had too. ... Should the submission be entered into the database before the review committee reviews it?
I think yes, but this might depend on how busy the database administrator is?  Or, on the rate of contributions, etc.?

I like your plan otherwise, so far, especially that it will be based on such a successful database template as the Stanford Microarray Database.  The provisions for access with data privileges and the use of Non-Disclosure/Non-Compete documents, where appropriate, should be able handle the data protection issues, I would think.

Thanks you so much for doing this bit of research and being willing to set up, at least, an initial database, Christelle.  I think you are being very helpful.