[Terrapreta] the pyrogenic nature of pyrolytic charcoal

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 04:59:47 EDT 2007

On 04/09/07, Gerald Van Koeverden <vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Dr. Antal,
>
>         Charcoal produced by pyrolysis, as Adriana Downie writes, tends to
> be highly pyrogenic.  In an earlier message, she described charcoal
> stored in plastic pails as melting the containers.  I know two
> instances (another company) when such pyrolytic charcoal being
> transporting have started combusting.  This makes storage (under
> nitrogen?), handling, and shipping (flammable materials licensing,
> etc.) rather problematic.  Is the charcoal produced by flash
> carbonization pyrogenic?  If so, how have these difficulties been
> solved?
>
> Gerrit

I find this hard to believe unless the char has only just been made and not
properly extinguished. Here it is mostly stored in paper bags, so we should
have fires everywhere.
I have seen pallets of them and no spontaneous fires.

(I have seen spontaneous fires of oily rags in a factory dustbin.)

There are no government warnings or regulations coving char safety  either.
Chemist shops should have little fires on their charcoal tablet counter
 It should also be impossible to put out a bushfire.

--
Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf