[Terrapreta] You Are What You Grow

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 08:27:15 EDT 2007

Thank you David for putting Wendell Berry into the discussion. "Unsettling"
gave me my first glimpse of the political-economic-scientific-intellectual
and "rational"  methods employed to desecrate the earth. Back then,
Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz said "get big or get out." Later,
Schumacher countered with "small is beautiful" and, as you say, much has
happened since.

The old terra preta cultures lived in an enchanted forest. Modernity
necessarily attacked many of the old "superstitions" but the baby was thrown
out with the bathwater. Now, as we replant the mission in modern ways, we
will need a new narrative of sacredness -- something that carries us beyond
the realm of the gods of greed.

Best to ya.

lou