[Terrapreta] manure biochar N-P-K question

PurNrg at aol.com PurNrg at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 17:45:28 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/11/07 5:07:24 PM, jon.frank at aglabs.com writes:

> The only thing he spread was charcoal that had syrup filtered through it.

This would lead me to wonder whether there was not a lot of residual sugar in
the charcoal from said syrup, which would definitely be a different thing
than JUST charcoal. As we've read earlier in this discussion, the sugar promotes
a massive, temporary bloom all all sorts of soil critters. This bloom and it's
associated activities could well be responsible for using up easily available
soil nutrients, making them less available to plants in an immediate sense.
Then, when the sugar has been consumed, there is the die off of many of the
extra critters and their decomposition releases all those nutrients again in a
form readily available to the plants.

Peter :-)>