[Terrapreta] manure biochar N-P-K question

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Sep 11 18:41:16 EDT 2007

Hi Brian,

Sugar alone can bloom the soil micro-flora.  There is a lab test, used by soil science researchers that makes use of this.  It increases soil "respiration" rates, which is an indication of increased living microorganism activity.  Dr. A.D. Karve (in this group), from India, has claimed that this is very important.  Even to the point where "sugar" is the sole amendment, no fertilizers required.  But, sugar with charcoal?  Now that could be a different, perhaps more long-lived, effect than charcoal alone.  Maybe the charcoal can buffer the soil pH, increasing Cation Exchange Capacity?  Maybe the carbon in the charcoal can catalyze the decomposition of organic matter into plant available nutrients?  Maybe the porous nature of the charcoal holds more water and provides a "safe haven" for soil microorganisms to grow into and stay, set up shop as it were, etc?

These are all, I believe, very "fertile groud" (pun intended) for Terra Preta research.  It does look promising, so far.  So, we just need to get more people excited about doing this kind of research.