[Terrapreta] manure biochar N-P-K question

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Sep 11 20:20:43 EDT 2007

Hi Brian,

I would say that when charcoal is combined with sugar and amended to soil, that is the charcoal (not the sugar) that gives the microbes that extra chance to survive longer or leave their remains better in the soil.  You might contact AD Karve (he's on this list) about exactly what he is saying.  But, as I read him, the addition of sugar to power the growth of soil microbes can, alone, enhance the ability of the soil microorganisms to provide more plant nutrients.  The microbes can mine the soil for nutrients in ways that the plant roots cannot do.  The metabolism of some soil microbes can "free up" inorganic molecules in the soil and make them available to plants.  Sugar does nothing directly for plants (they are not cannibals!!!).

Write to Dr. A.D. Karve yourself => adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in<mailto:adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in>.  Ask him about what sugar can do for the sustained improvement of soil, the improved growth of soil microorganisms, and the consequent improved growth of planted crops.  Ask him if NPK is an absolute requirement.  I've been down this path with the guy before.  I did not at first believe it, either.  But, he has an audience in India, an audience of farmers who have made their fields more productive by using his methods.  He has a successful working model for crop fertilization that does NOT use the standard of so much of the N, some much of the P, and the K.

C HOPKINS Café Mgr has more than NPK in it.

If you keep arguing your standard agribusiness knowledge, then someone in here will kick you for not having an "open mind".  I've been there.