[Terrapreta] Charcoal on Sandy field

Jon C. Frank jon.frank at aglabs.com
Thu Sep 13 16:54:57 EDT 2007

Hi Ron,

I did some further digging and here is what I found.

The land was purchased 6 years ago.  It was pure sand to begin with.  As an
initial application he put 15-20 tons per acre and then only put about
400-500 lbs. every year thereafter.  The soil started out looking like lake
bottom sand is now a black sand look with a lot more structure.

Corn yields increased from 90 bushels per acre to 180-200 bushels per acre.
Neighboring fields are still around 90 bushels per acre.  The field is
regularly fertilized with low to medium levels of NPK that are blended
together with the charcoal powder.  NPK sources are mostly sourced from
industrial waste streams and includes calcium.  The field is irrigated.

I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions but I can tell you
that the powder greatly stimulates the production of mycorrhizal growth.  It
is quit visible after the powder is exposed to moisture and oxygen.  Fungal
molds grow in this powder like crazy.

I will try to post a side by side picture of the powder as it looks fresh
and compare it to what happens when it sits in a bag outside picking up
moisture from the rain.

Jon C. Frank
www.aglabs.com