[Terrapreta] You Are What You Grow

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 14 00:35:38 EDT 2007

Sean,

You're dreaming, though I would like to dream with you.  But local
realities keep bringing me down...

And then there's the economics...WIth bio-char at less than 1/5th the
density of limestone, do you realize what this one single fact does
to the costs/ton of transporting and applying charcoal to the soil,
much less the cost of charcoal itself??  And we still have absolutely
no hard data yet on the yield increases that accrue from how much
biochar/acre...it would be interesting to figure that out right
now...how much of a yield increase or savings in fertilizer costs
(plus how much 'subsidy'  through carbon credits) would a farmer have
to get to justify the costs at different rates/acre?  We could at
least work out a rough figure for that.

Carbon credits:    ???
Char costs:  I think earlier I read something like $200/ton;  (that's
about 60 bushels of corn already)
Transportation:  for costs/ton, find out the cost of trucking
limestone, and multiply that rate/mile by 5 or 6 for the distance to
your nearest pyrolysis plant.
Spreading:  for every ton of char, multiply the cost of spreading one
ton of manure by 4 (since manure is very watery it has a density
close to water.)

The economics are scary.  Besides that, my neighbour has a huge
manure spreader, and he can't even get his neighours to pay him $25/
spreader for the cost of both the chicken manure and spreading it!

Gerrit