[Terrapreta] Terra preta 101

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:49:45 EDT 2007

Hey Guys,

Just a quick one on the charcoal temp "*It does not have to be low temp*"
this is a misunderstanding. This year I did my trials with 500C ricehull
char and I had a very positive result.

I've added some pictures of the field trial results to the youtube clip to
show the effects of biochar + foliar nutrients (NOTE: No soil fertilizer
used)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpozW9039_o .

And as for $1-2000T, I'm not sure who's quoting prices like that but I'm
very sure this will only drive farmers to make their own biochar with or
with out all the safety guidelines.

Rob.

On 9/20/07, Michael Bailes <michaelangelica at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin apologies not needed.
> Sometimes my style reads a bit brusque but actually I only really get
> angry about politics or religion.
> In these cases I am always right; with Terra preta we are all learning
>
> Now
> I grew up in a pre-google world.
> I am amazed that people can't use it as a research tool!
>  You have no idea how time consuming research was in libraries with paper
> journals, huge indexes  and pen & paper. It took days to find one relevant
> article.
> .
> If I am brusque her forgive me I have been up 48 hours getting my daughter
> to London
> but a bit of spoon feeding seems necessary
> To answer questions asked:-
>
>    - Where to get the right charcoal
>
> Try the phone book;. charcoal is charcoal;. the Amazonian Indians used
> hardwood.
> Make it youself see this list, hypography and stoves list.
>
>    - What qualities to look for
>
> Ideally look for charcoal made at low temps that retain bio-ois (c 350-
> 450 C)
> Bio oils/resins encourage microbiological growth
> Environmentally pyrolysis is the most environmentally friendly way of
> making char.
> Making yourself makes smoke (bad) and wastes energy
> See some of the info on the IAI site (Esp. the poster presentations).
> I was most amazed by the way they were making charcoal in western
> Australia - not  the best way
>
>    - What are reasonable costs
>
> At the moment outrageous $1-2,000+ a tonne.
> But you want to do your bit to sequester CO2 don't you?
> Hopefully firms like BEST Energies will get some of their big pyrolysis is
> systems on line then you would be looking at c$ AUS $150--$300 a tonne at
> the site + transport costs
>
>    - How much per acre
>
> Depends a bit on your soil pH. The Japanese have along term 10 year
> experiment going on Tea (Carmelia  trees). They have found applying 100g
> grams, per tree, per square meter, per year; resulted in 40% better growth
> after 4 years.
> They will be posting more results as the experiment progresses. Apart from
> archeological theory, speculation and intelligent guesses; long term studies
> of Terra preta are thin on the ground
> I would start with that amount and keep taking pH readings. You might find
> they vary greatly over time
> Charcoal will lower pH. Ash will lower it drastically
>
>    - How to incorporate it into soil
>
> Seems it's best not to disturb soil to much. The "wee beasties" don't like
> there homes ripped up.
>
>    - How to modify conventional fertilizer practices
>
> Your soil should hold conventional fertilisers better. However it has been
> found that some chemical fertilisers inhibit bacterial growth. So go organic
> if you can . A high level of soil organic matter  (SOM) is important
>
>    - How to manage for the long-term

> [...]

Robert Flanagan
Chairman & President
Hangzhou Sustainable Agricultural Food & Fuel Enterprise Co., Ltd.

Skype "saffechina"
Tel:   86-571-881-850-67
Cell:  86-130-189-959-57