[Terrapreta] CORRECTION re: Terra preta 101

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Thu Sep 20 07:42:12 EDT 2007

Allan,

Alkalinity is high pH, ie, pH over 7.0.....acidity is low pH, ie, pH under
7.0.....for agricultural purposes acid soils are less than 6.0 pH, alkaline
greater than 7.0, and neutral soils are in the 6.0-7.0 area.

Conventionally, limestones are added to raise the pH....sulfur to lower
pH....the additions of organic matter in its myriad forms tends to mildly
lower pH and to strongly buffer the soil (making pH changes more difficult
to achieve).

Washed charcoal ought not to change the pH at all, but the unwashed will
tend to be alkaline due to ash content. This in turn will tend to be a
temporary alkalinity due to the highly soluble nature of ash ingredients.
Increased alkalinity means the pH is raised, not lowered.

HTH,

Frank Teuton