[Terrapreta] Dynamotive demonstrates fast-pyrolysis

John D. Wilson wilson at cleanenergy.org
Thu Sep 20 11:36:10 EDT 2007

Increased respiration doesn't mean increased net emissions. If increased
biological activity is associated with increased net emissions, then
eventually all the carbon in the soil would be gone. Compost amended soils
increase net emissions because dead organic matter is added to the soil and
it is gradually decomposed resulting in a net loss of carbon. Eventually the
compost is mostly gone and then the net increase in emissions stops. In
contrast, the char appears to fuel decomposition briefly, but then
stabilize. At that point it does not provide a net source of emissions.

John

  _____