[Terrapreta] CO2 rising

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Sep 20 12:49:42 EDT 2007

Hi Dave,

I have read something like this too, but it was in regard to "old growth" or mature forests.  Mature forests have more decaying matter in them than younger, faster growing forests.  Also, "old growth" forests grow slower, taking in less CO2.  On balance an "old growth" forests may become a "net emitter" of CO2 into the atmosphere.

I think there are some questions remaining, though.  Jon Frank just said this eloquently, that even though CO2 emissions might increase, the ecology may still be storing more carbon into the soil, than is emitted as CO2.  I think too, that there is a possibility that environmental temperatures could play an important part in regulating the fluxes of carbon from/to the biome and to/from the atmosphere.

Frank Teuton, Tom Miles, and/or Lou Gold might be able to shed more light on this subject for you.  I believe that they all have had substantial experience in forestry.  Please forgive me, Frank, Tom, or Lou, if I am wrong about that.