[Terrapreta] CO2 Equilibrium

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 01:12:26 EDT 2007

> > *code suidae < codesuidae at gmail.com>* wrote:
> >
> > I read an article sometime in the past year or so that described how
> > forest can become net carbon emitters as global temperatures rise. I
> > have been unable to find the article again, but IIRC they were
> > describing research done on European forests.
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't recall the description of how the rising
> > temperatures caused the forests to become net emitters.
> >
> > Anyone familiar with this idea?
> >
> > Dave K
> > --
> >
> >  There seems to be a bit of disagreemnt about weather non-tropical
forests are carbon sinks or not.
recently there was a Chinese article which suggested thy were
Recently on "Catalyst" a science show broadcast by the (Aust.) ABC featured
some long term research being done at the University of Western Sydney.
They have trees is their own little spac e suits and are trying to monitor
all imputs and out puts
A seach of the catalayst web site
might give you more detail & atranscript
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/

It is interesting that most/many(?) believe that planting trees may solve
our CO2 environment problems; when it may be better to chop them all down
and make them into char!!! :)
Even then will we end up encouraging a variety of soil "wee beastie" that
burps more CO2 than cows???

My purpose in starting the thread "Planting Trees a Good Thing A Bad Thing"
on hypography was to address this very problem but the discussion has
widened much wider than I expected.
 There are some links to some research there you might check it out
http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/9998-planting-trees-good-thing-bad-thing.html
I would love you to post some of the information you have, in the great
replies here, to that hypography thread
--
Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf