[Terrapreta] if yer nor forest....

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 21:48:17 EDT 2007

Dear David,

All I can say is once again thank you so much for taking your valuable time
to put sense to this utter madness. Since my last outburst to this list I've
disciplined myself to just scan through the dribble and only read what I
think my guide me, but then I came across this ridiculous debate!

Now my first knee jerk reaction was to unleash my fury but I'll held back
and tried to think of a more positive way to get a point across with out
looking like a Mad Mick on a Rampage! I believe this is the solution, I
encourage all to buy this DVD (Or rent and burn) and take a good look at the
planet you live on
http://search.ebay.com/planet-earth_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40 . Note when
you gasp as the magnificence of our planet, take special note that the
compositionthe of the oxygen rich air you breath as you'll find out, is
changed by just one mighty forest.

When Peter Reed stood up and publicly announced at the IAI conference that
there is even talk of cutting down all the trees in the north (Including
the Tiger) and south and only planting fast growing trees in the equator a
cold cold shiver ran down my spine and the only thing that came to mind was
"*THEY'VE LOST THE PLOT*".

Diversity of as many life forms on the planet is the key to survival.
Although humans may have the most developed brain we sure as hell lack the
ability to use it to it's full capacity for the greater good! The further we
remove our self from the land, the further we remove ourselves from
community and with out community we loose the the sense of purpose! It's at
this sad state where we see the shallow desperate attempts to regain any
self worth by watching, reading and consuming rubbish!

A simple test, last thing at night when your brushing your teeth and
admiring your self in the mirror, take a second look deep into your eyes and
ask your self "Am I really doing something with my life that *not only
benefits me but benefits others*?" At this point you should know exactly
what you need to get out of bed for the next morning!

Once again David I'd like to thank you and I truly admire your ability to
get your point across with such eloquence as pointed out by Lou!

Regards,
Rob.

On 9/22/07, David Yarrow <dyarrow at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>  having spent many profound and peaceful hours in the shade and shelter of
> many ancient forests doing surveys to locate and document the 1/2 of 1% of
> the eastern US forests that remain as old growth, i find this anaylsis of
> old growth forests as inferior carbon sinks to be tragic, absurd and
> incredibly near sighted -- a foolish rationale for the continued rape and
> ravage of the most supreme manifestations of the living biosphere.  the idea
> that we can store more carbon in young, fast growing trees instead of
> ancient forests is dangerously dumb.
>
> first of all, in this discussion of ancient vs. young forest as carbon
> sink, the keyword here is deforestation.  young forests of supposedly
> rapidly growing trees only exist because the original forest has been
> logged, burned and destroyed.  those catastrophic processes quickly release
> nearly all of the carbon and nutrients that were accumulated over decades
> and centuries, and stored in the original trees, understory, highly organic
> soil, and other living organisms.  in those processes, most of the carbon is
> oxidized, while most of the nutrients leach away into subsoil and
> watersheds.  and most of the wildlife is displaced and must find new
> habitats for food and shelter.  those displaced chemistries create
> widespread disturbances and disruptions in far distance places.
> deforestation is a catastrophic release of chemistry and chaos, and
> traumatic degradation of complex biotic communities.
>
> it will take many, many years of young forest growth, however rapid it
> MIGHT seem to be, to compensate for the catastrophic disruptive releases of
> deforestation.  and if in our analysis, we include not just crude measures
> of weight and volume in tree and soil biomass, but complexity, density,
> diversity, and stability, this entire young-over-ancient argument becomes a
> no-contest triumph for these climax ecosystems.
>
> at any rate, ancient forests are profoundly more than magnificent carbon
> and nutrient sinks.  they are a complex communities of interacting organisms
> that perform multiple funcations to regulate, stabilize and sustain the web
> of living processed that make most earth's resplendent bounty and beauty
> possible.  the current discussion is like discounting our lungs and kidneys
> as merely being so many pounds of protein, fat, minerals, and water that
> could be ground up and turned into one or two nutritous dinners.  forests
> are powerfully effective to regulate the atmosphere, including the release
> of not just oxygen and many other more subtle gaseous molecules that are the
> scent of sublime, not to mention the ions that form the electromagnetic
> unity of the troposphere.  forests and their leaves also filter the air,
> removing impurities and wastes, restoring ionic balances, releasing moisture
> as humidity,, reducing winds and creating a zone of substory serenity.  a
> forest exerts multiple profound physical,  chemical and electromagnetic
> [...]

Robert Flanagan
Chairman & President
Hangzhou Sustainable Agricultural Food & Fuel Enterprise Co., Ltd.

Skype "saffechina"
Tel:   86-571-881-850-67
Cell:  86-130-189-959-57