[Terrapreta] What does Carbon Sequestration really mean?

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sat Sep 22 11:43:50 EDT 2007

Lou, Sean

I've been trying to tease some understanding of the carbon cycle and sinks
into the politics of climate change in Canada.

I provided some information to a parliamentary committee studying Canada's
Kyoto commitment. It suggests accounting for the carbon in wood products as
a carbon sink. It's not much of a stretch to contemplate the possibility the
sink represented by wood products could also be sequestered essentially
permanently if discarded material from demolished houses, etc could be
converted to charcoal used in the formation of terra preta.

http://www.computare.org/Support%20documents/Fora%20Input/Wood%20Product%200
5_02.htm

My submission was translated to the other official language and provided to
the committee. Members were not receptive to the thoughts presented.   I
guess they are not real quick to take to new ideas, and it's not much wonder
they are skeptical with the wild variety of carbon mangement ideas thrust
upon them by assorted special interests.

I've been told by a forester that trees here in Alberta are typically no
more than a hundred years old with some small isolated pockets up to 400
years. The implication was that they burned quite frequently prior to
industrialization. Maybe the burning contributed to soil development through
the production of char. Over a ten thousand year period only a small
fractional conversion to char could have amounted to a substantial sink. The
terra preta concept can be seen as the speeding up of such natural processes
with a little bit of intelligent input from the human component of the
environment.

Does this example fit your ideas of a "new paradigm'?

I apologize for the bandwidth I've used in advance, as I've already made
reference to this topic some time ago. However, there is something to the
old adage that repetition is the best teacher and many contributors to this
list are not strangers to that concept.

Sincerely,

Duane Pendergast