[Terrapreta] CO2

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Sep 22 19:34:59 EDT 2007

Hi Bakary,

I think your work is tremendously beneficial.  I hope you can continue to see and observe those benefits personally.  I think you are doing wonderful work for people by what you are doing.  You must try to document your observations and share them with this group.
We can all benefit from what you learn.  There is, I believe, a great agricultural miracle that can happen in Terra Preta soil.  It is the reason, I believe, why people ever formed Terra Preta in the Amazon Basin in the first place.

I do not now see any potential dangers with charcoal amendments in soil.  The large scale production of charcoal (which you are not doing) does have the possibility of exacerbating certain other problems, though, namely the advancing rise of green house gas concentrations in the atmosphere and the consequent global climatic changes that could ensue.

Humans have changed the Earth's atmosphere.  The consequences of our past actions will land on us over the next many years, perhaps centuries.  God willing, we can learn to survive the changes.  It will be warmer.  Plant growth just has to increase.  Nature wants to use the CO2 and the warmth.  The productivity of "living systems" of plants and soil will just naturally adapt.  This may take a long time.

What you are doing is an adaptation too.  I think it is the correct one to make.  We all must do what we must do to survive.  We need to continue to use the resources of our world to service our needs.  Charcoal into soil looks like one of those things we need to do to keep the land productive with food crops.  Our advancing population will need to continue to eat.

You are doing tremendous, courageous, and generous work for humankind.  Keep it up, let us know how it goes, and ask any of us for help when you need it.

Regards