[Terrapreta] CO2 rising

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Sep 23 12:28:48 EDT 2007

Hi Brian,

You stated R:S ratios for grassland at 4:1 and for forestland at what? 1:2.5 or something like that?  Just looking at R:S your conclusion is correct I think, that grasslands hold more carbon in the soil than forest lands do.   But, as far as how much carbon gets held in and on how much area of land, this R:S shoot argument is USELESS!  You can see why, right?

Try this ... 10t of C in grass and 40t of C in grass roots <= your example.  How about 200 t of carbon in tree roots and 500 t of C in tree trunks, branches, stems, and leaves.  Which is a bigger number?  700 t of carbon of 50 t of carbon?

Do you kind of see how BOTH your R:S numbers can be valid and the comparison of them says NOTHING about the relative amounts of carbon held in forest land versus grassland?  Do you see how even with a larger R:S ratio, an acre of grassland DOES NOT hold more carbon than an acre of forest land (10 < 200)?

How is that mat feeling?