[Terrapreta] CO2 rising

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sun Sep 23 17:45:12 EDT 2007

you're stuck in generalizations.  forests are not all one type.  there are dozens of forest types, with widely varying characteristics, species, ages, processes, etc.

growing on vertical cliffs and steep talus slopes in the niagara river gorge is a forest of 700-1000 year old white cedars and associated herbaceous, insect and other species with little organic detritus blanketing the rocks.

at the other end of NY in the hudson valley is a forest of 300-700 year old mixed hardwood & hemlock trees growing in a deep, inaccessible ravine with no soil, but many feet of organic humus with thick mats of moss, ferns, liverworts, lichen and other primitive plants.

above that ravine, growing on bare, polished bedrock tables, is a forest of pitch pine and scrub oak -- 100-150 years old -- old for their species -- with a thin covering of understory, moss and soil.

three ancient forests with extremely varied characteristics, including age, species, rooting structures, associated species, soil forming and carbon fixing features.

David Yarrow
"If yer not forest, yer against us."
Turtle EyeLand Sanctuary
44 Gilligan Road, East Greenbush, NY 12061
dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
www.championtrees.org
www.OnondagaLakePeaceFestival.org
www.citizenre.com/dyarrow/
www.farmandfood.org
www.SeaAgri.com

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light."
-Albus Dumbledore