[Terrapreta] it's the soil

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 19:33:32 EDT 2007

> at any rate, the fundamental reality behind most ecosystem viability,
> vigor and complexity is soil quality, or fertility -- the supplies of
> primary minerals.

Hi David,

I think we agree about the tropics but thanks for adding precision to my
often loose language.

Amazonia is huge. It's hard to fathom that it might not be very resilient.
But resilience is stored in the soil.  Some of the current modeling suggests
that fully half of the Amazon forest may become savanna within the short
span of a few decades. Scary!

Thanks,

lou