[Terrapreta] Making charcoal in a barrel

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Sep 23 23:22:29 EDT 2007

Hi 'terrpreta' list,

Adriana is abosolutely right!

But, Adriana, these people just want to research the value of putting charcoal into soil.  This work is something that does need to be done, regardless of how the small amounts of charcoal are got at.  They are not trying to make vast quantities of charcoal when they do this.

Anyone who does try to make a system which can make much charcoal, should totally be aware that emissions count.  It is a problem to make lots of charcoal and not handle the methane-CH4 emissions for the fact that methane-CH4 is a very potent GHG.  Large emissions of GHGs and particulates can be a problem legally as well in some locals.

My personal opinion is that it might be slightly better to try and make a retort of sorts out a a barrel, rather then to just make charcoal inside the barrel.  I have seen a retort made from a barrel, where the off-gas is burned underneath the barrel to supply heat for accelerating the charring reaction.  This is not really necessary for charring, as charcoal can be produced by an exothermic reaction inside a bed containing hot "gas generating charcoal" and raw biomass.  But, it does flare the off gases adequately.
It is still relatively slow when compared to "flash carbonization" for instance.  It is labor intensive and also takes knowledgeable management to keep the process going.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC