[Terrapreta] if yer not forest...

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 03:48:04 EDT 2007

Bravo David. Impressive three fingers, for sure. Thanks again for your
eloquence and passion.

In my days of traveling across the US in defense of native forests I used to
love to say about the southeast pine beetle problem that it was not an
epidemic of pine beetles but and epidemic of pine trees. Nature always
pushes toward diversity.

One correction -- the Indians of California (in the wine country near San
Francisco) managed through regular burning a mixed oak and conifer forest
into an oak and grassland savanna in order to maximize the production of
acorns which were their staple. The resulting human-ecosystem balance was
extremely stable and it is now thought that the region actually supported
higher density pre-European populations than exist there today -- all
locally fed. BUT, in order to create this, they also significantly reduced
both biodiversity and forest cover from the previous "natural" state. They
struck a very favorable human-nature balance and came to be known as the
salmon and acorn people.

As an environmentalist and forest defender I used to hold an indiscriminate
faith in the inherent superiority of inherited natural systems over any
thing that might be man-made. And I saw growth-addicted industrial
populations as a cancer on the earth. But in considering the Indians of
California, the Indios dos Terra Preta of the Amazon and the many other
examples offered in the writings of Charles Mann (1491) I've had to revise
my thinking. The problem does not lie in some inherent human/nature conflict
as much as in whether a particular human consciousness can build a stable
long-term reciprocal relationship between humans and nature. The fact that
Indians of the past did it, that they were able to create equilibriums that
were stable for a 1000 years or more (exceeding the in situ tenure of any
Western Civilization) is my greatest hope and inspiration today. It says
that that the problem is not humans versus nature but rather the
relationship that is built between the two.

Mituke Oyacin -- All My Relations

lou