[Terrapreta] Terra Preta discussion topics

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Sep 24 18:13:46 EDT 2007

Hi 'terrpreta' list,

I meant to acknowledge this, Kevin Chisholm and Edward Someus, but I forgot to do it at the time.  Kevin posted a very pragmatic list of questions (or discussion topics for Terra Preta) and Edwrd added to it a bit ...

  a.. Where to get the right charcoal
  b.. What qualities to look for
  c.. What are reasonable costs
  d.. How much per acre
  e.. How to incorporate it into soil
  f.. How to modify conventional fertilizer practices
  g.. How to manage for the long-term
  h.. How to assure effective microbial inoculation
  i.. What are the national permit and legislation aspects
  j.. What are the application follow up control practices
  k.. What are the comprehensive environmental and human health safety aspects (life cycle analyses)
I thought this was just a fantastic idea you had.  We can use this as a guide to confine and focus our discussions.  I would like to propose that we have some new threads started, one for each question and we discuss these things only.  Nat Tuivavalagi wanted us to to do something like this, too.  We can't make any headway when we keep beating on one another about disagreements.  Lets all try to ignore disagreements, listen more, and quit being defensive about our positions.  I will admit to wasting the bandwidth here, doing some of this myself.  I think a topic thread list will help confine the discussions.

I think we should just do it.  No more topics for now.  Just this list and see how it goes. Okay?

What would you all think about this ?

P.S. Shall we start with my next post Subject: "Where to get the right charcoal?"