[Terrapreta] Making charcoal in a barrel

code suidae codesuidae at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 22:40:12 EDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Sean K. Barry <sean.barry at juno.com> wrote:

>  Well, Dave, I don't know about any of that?  It sure seems like it would
> be hard to quantify those kinds of "opportunity costs" or "opportunity
> savings".  I can't quantify any of them either.

Precisely my point, in this context stating that barrel-char will absolutely
have a negative (however small) impact on global climate change is as
unfounded as the contrary position. It is absolutely worth the warning, that
is useful information, but it shouldn't be overstated.

In an isolated analysis, open burning and open air charcoal production just
> have too many demerits for me to consider it as useful.

I think it naive to only consider the isolated analysis. The halo effect,
the emissions that would not occur as a result, may be much larger than we
anticipate.

But, this horse is well and mightily beaten, I shall lay aside my bludgeon.
Speak last if it suits you.

Dave K
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know." - M. King
Hubbert