[Terrapreta] Where to get the right charcoal?

Nancy John nwjohn at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 26 15:11:17 EDT 2007

Rebecca,

Thank you so much for this DIRECTION TO CHAR - to use
in the trial fields.  Have taken the liberty of
requesting ANY KIND AVAILABLE and left my directions
on the eprida website.

Most sincerely, Nancy John

--- Rebecca Oglesby <rebecca.oglesby at eprida.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> these and compare.
> >
> > I heard Robert  Flanagan mention some time way
> back, that he was able to
> > make temperature specific chars or knew of some
> group who could.  I hope to
> > be able to make temperature specific chars when I
> have my reactor running
> > with the bugs worked out (fairly soon, I hope).
> >
> > VM content and the associated temperature is not
> necessarily the only
> > thing that differentiates quality of charcoal.  I
> think feedstock selection
> > may also make a difference.  Michael J. Antal at
> UH had descriptions in his
> > papers that they had tried several different feed
> > stocks.  Maybe he could shed more light on how
> this effects char
> > properties for us?  I am willing to try different
> feed stocks and will be
> > able to get characterizations made on all of
> charcoal I can produce.
> >
> > Porosity of the charcoal may also impart qualities
> to the charcoal.
> >
> > Availability of charcoal which has been
> "characterized" is rare,
> > admittedly.  Many of us are just interested enough
> in the idea of just
> > putting charcoal of any type, from any source,
> into soil, just to see what
> > it can do.  I don't see this as a problem.  More
> attempts at finding a
> > working recipe are welcome I think.  It may just
> give us more clarity about
> > what really does make the "right" char, if in
> hindsight a good field example
> > can be traced back to specific properties or
> source of the char used in the
> > trial.
> >
> > Making charcoal can be a source of charcoal to put
> into soil,
> > too.  Although it is true that it can be made
> inefficiently and not so
> > cleanly with some very simplistic methods, there
> still may be validity in
> > just making it any old way just to get at some.
> Again, if a trial can be
> > documented as successful (compared to an
> appropriate control), then however
> > the char was got at, or whatever it has as
> properties can be discovered in a
> > post-facto study of the charcoal itself.  We could
> correct the problems with
> > its production at that time.  Hopefully, the
> "right" char is not the stuff
> > that is made the most inefficiently and with the
> highest amount of
> > detrimental emissions.
> >
> > So, in summary, I say that for right now, the
> place to get the "right"
> > charcoal is wherever or however you can get it.
> We can make determinations
> > together about the respective quality or
> "rightness" of the charcoal after
> > we have some more experimental data showing us
> significant
> > trends.  Christelle Braun has offered to help
> organize experimental data for
> > our review.
> >
> > I await any further contributions to this line of

/pipermail/terrapreta_bioenergylists.org/attachments/20070924/5eccdfc1/attachment.html