[Terrapreta] Fw: Biochar Packing Strategies

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Sep 27 01:58:52 EDT 2007

Dear Sean

Terra Preta is an interesting material indeed. It is of interest now for
two fundamental reasons... agriculture and environmental. Because of its
many unknowns, it is a puzzle, and is therefore also of great academic
and scientific interest.

As I see it, the Terra Preta List is not so much an academic or
scientific forum as it is a forum where people can get enough of a
familiarity with Terra Preta to use it successfully now. Obviously, we
cannot use it successfully now unless we know enough about how it works
to use it effectively. In the Science and Academic Communities, the goal
is knowledge, while in the practical world, the goal is to get something
that works. In the practical world, it is not necessary to have Total
knowledge about how TP works. Empirical knowledge about how to make it
work is sufficient. "Merely because a cow doesn't understand the
workings of her 4th stomach is no reason why she shouldn't eat grass."

President Ahmadinejad was invited to Columbia as a Guest. As such he
should have been given the polite and respectful treatment that is due
an Invited Guest. Bollinger started off his introduction with all guns
blazing. Regardless of Adminejad's views, Bollinger was wrong to
criticize him in the rude, insulting, ignorant, and boorish manner that
he did. As a consequence, he came across as a two bit, 3rd rate Academic.

While much is known about Terra Preta, much is also not known. I feel
that most people on the Terra Preta List are here simply because of
curiosity, or to get sufficient empirical knowledge to test Terra Preta
in their own circumstances and verify whether or not it is right for
their situation. We should all be able to present our views and opinions
about Terra Preta in a positive and constructive manner, and if we
disagree with the views of another, we should equally present our views
in a positive and helpful manner. The Readers can take what they want
for their purposes.

As my Hero Red Green is wont to say: "Keep your stick on the ice, we're
all in this together." ( http://uufhc.net/s050821.r1.html )

Best wishes,

Kevin