[Terrapreta] Where to get the right charcoal?

ch braun brauncch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 04:56:40 EDT 2007

Hello Dave,

>I have an idea to write a little windows utility program to keep track of
char experiments.
Could you give more details on what your utility program is supposed to do?
I am currently writing a small form where data for char experiments can be
easily submitted and which then converts it in the proper xml format (which
can later be used to feed a database...this 2-step process was apparently
preferred than submitting directly the data in an online db). The first
draft should be finished this or next week.
Which programming language had you thought of for writing this tool?

>The entity relationships aren't and shouldn't be dictated by the XML spec,
so, if you don't object, I'd like to step up away from the xml/database
representation for a moment and just discuss the entities to be represented
and how they relate to each other.
I know, UML is indeed much better for representing and discussing the
relationships between entities. My initial motivation was actually to allow
people who are not familiar with UML to be able to propose their changes in
a more or less "formalized" manner directly in the xml file instead of (or
to complete) more "verbiose" explanations... But since almost nobody did it
that way, I think you are right and we should now rather switch and discuss
from the UML. Which editor do you use ? Could you send me the uml file
represented on the picture you sent me?

Now concerning the content itself, I think it's indeed the best solution to
distinguish between "PyrolysisMethod" and "PyrolysisEvent" (based on a
PyrolysisMethod). That solves the generic vs instance problem in a very
elegant and practical way.

>An Experiment is performed by a person, on a day, in a location and has a
pyrolysis event and log of what happened and what the persons observations,
and so an entity representing it would link to User, Location and
PyrolysisEvent and would include a date and Log field for the user to
include notes.
I have only a doubt as to the scope of what we call "experiment": I agree
with all that, but for me the actual "experiment" is the soil amendment,
right? So where do you put all that?

>It doesn't yet include any cultivation concepts, and it doesn't include an
Experiment entity. I can put that in later.
Mmm... probably that's what I'm now looking for :-)

Sincerely yours,
Christelle