[Terrapreta] Char and compost ( was Char made made under pressurized conditions? )

Saibhaskar Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:05:34 CDT 2008

 Dear All,

I prefer and agree to collect the urine fresh from the source using charcoal
without loosing any value. Here is what I am doing.

I requested my kids to urinate in the clay jars (~ 6 inches diameter and ~10
inches height) with very fine holes (2mm dia) at the bottom filled with
charcoal produced from using Magh-1 woodgas stoves. These jars are kept in
the toilet are able to absorb about 200 ml of urine (single time) easily
with out any leakage at the bottom. Between the intervals of urination of
about 6 hours duration, the moisture is reduced to some extent, but always
wet and cool because of clay jars. The total urine per day was around 500
ml. After about 10 days I could smell something like ammonia from the jar, I
thought now it has reached saturation level. I kept the jar aside in a cool
place to use for experiments. I have not analysed for actual contents
in this product.

The advantages / ideas are:
The coolness of the clay jar reduced evaporation losses
Reduction of urine odor as charcoal is used, more acceptance to collect
urine fresh in the toilets, we can easily design urinals free of smell,
instead of using fresheners (napthaline balls, scents, phenyl, etc) in the
toilets.
The schools are the best places to get kids urine, disease free and no
medicines used.
No flies are seen sitting on the jars, but some big black ants seen to enjoy
drinking the urine spilled ? ?
And many other advantages as discussed earlier in the group.

With regards,

Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy