[Terrapreta] Charcoal and Other Carbon and Nutrient Sources

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Apr 1 22:59:44 CDT 2008

Some background on this plant Tithonia diversifolia - (tree marigold)
is introduced but not native in Florida.

www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/ eca/downloads/Jama_et_al_2000.pdf
This reference is a review of this species as green manure for soil
fertility. For farmers in tropical climate this plant restores soil
fertility with effects sometimes superior to commercial fertilizer.
The application would be to use this plant as boundary hedges to
fields and coppice for fertility supplement. It readily decomposes and
represents a redistribution of nutrients rather than a renewable one.
As its harvest and application to land is labor intensive it is
reserved for high value crops and its use is a good way to transfer
soil fertility from areas not suitable for cultivation.