[Terrapreta] Fwd: The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta. Re: Char and compost ( was Char made made under pressurized conditions? )

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 2 09:58:16 CDT 2008

Note that broken pot themselves formed the pottery kiln in an early
stage of making pottery.   Surely, there must be some studies by
archeologists of Amazonian culture of pottery making?

Where pottery making became an organised craft, the bonfire site was
often excavated to a shallow pit and covered with a good layer of
brushwood on top of the charcoal and ashes of the previous firing.
Then the sun-dried pots would be stacked on top, usually upside down,
and depending on the size, layer upon layer. Over the top layer of
pots a covering layer of broken pieces of fired pots from previous
firings was carefully laid. This protected the pots from cold winds
during and after the firing which reduced the risk of cracking.
Finally more brushwood on top and the bonfire was ready to light.

http://www.ceramicstudies.me.uk/index.html

Gerrit

Begin forwarded message: