[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra, Preta.

Gary Rondeau grondeau at efn.org
Wed Apr 2 13:41:49 CDT 2008

I've always liked the "pottery as mulch" theory.  If you look at the
picture of the excavation here:
http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/reprints/Feb07_TerraPreta.pdf
you will see that most of the sherds have little curvature, suggesting
to me that they were not made as "pots" but rather specifically for
another purpose.  I've also read that most of the sherds are unfired -
again suggesting a "low tech" requirement where the higher strength of a
fired object is not necessary.  If you consider the problems of weed and
moisture control, you can see the logic in laying sheets of sun-baked
clay around your seedlings.  But they break - get trampled into the dirt
- and there you have it!  The bigger pieces would get used year after
year.  I believe I ran across this hypothesis in some of Charles Mann's
writings.

Gary