[Terrapreta] BASF's CO2 Scrubbing ZIF

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Apr 3 01:16:54 CDT 2008

Hi Mark,

I saw this story on ZIF compounds in SCIENCE sometime these past fews months.  How much is it to make ZIF per lb vs how many lbs of CO2 stored, I wondered?  Did your reference answer this?  I was wondering this to try and put a price on other carbon (CO2) sequestration?  If ZIF can be made cheap, then CO2 producers will buy it or make it and raise the price of petroleum and coal to pay for the ZIF.

There is tons of photosynthetic "CO2 fixing" growing around the world that we don't take advantage of and it is cheap.  I think ZIF pound for pound might not compete for cost of CO2 sequestration with Terra Preta style charcoal-in-soil (or urine and nightsoil-in-charcoal ... in fired pottery chamber pots, broken in gardens ... as some might have it).

Nonetheless, zeolite-like compounds are interesting stuff.

The story I heard or read on CO2 at the bottom of the oceans (not sure where) is that the liquid CO2 still dissolves into the surrounding water.  If there were large enough reservoirs of liquid CO2 in the bottoms of the ocean, then the dissolution of the CO2 into the water could eventually a decrease in pH of the ocean water (carbonated oceans have higher acidity?).  This is a problem for most living systems in the oceans, I think.

Then, recharging CO2 filled ZIF by purging tons of CO2 into deep ocean reservoirs for long term storage seemed kind of labored, too.  Why not just stored CO2 straight from the source into ocean bottom reservoirs?  Why even use the ZIF?  The liquid CO2 at the bottom of the ocean is denser storage anyway.  Ah, ... if you are not near an ocean, store it in a ZIF?

What if NET CO2 producers had to buy and maintain large enough plantations of high Carbon ha-1 biomass crops and they had to pyrolyze it to make enough "fixed Carbon" in charcoal to offset the amount of carbon they released in their CO2 emissions per year?  They could do that cheaper than by enough rechargeable ZIF.