[Terrapreta] BASF's CO2 Scrubbing ZIF

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:07:46 CDT 2008

Thanks for the musings.

Yes, sustainability is the challenge. The problem is that no one quite knows
what it is. Even when the concept is simplified to mere survival, the
questions remain concerning survival in what form and on what terms?

My own musing is that we MAY be getting pushed into to viewing
sustainability as the the ability to adapt to changing circumstances. The
common spiritual lesson from all traditions says, "Don't get too attached."
In other words, be free to respond as is appropriate in a particular
situation. Surely, this is exactly what Nature does in evolution by
maintaining lots of diversity as insurance that something will have the
right skills for survival in change.

I am struck that the problem of the Industrial Age has not been the triumph
of technology over nature (as I previously believed) but that the conquering
technology has been very young, requiring the sameness of mono-culture and
dictatorial controls to make it work. This is the result of immaturity, of
insecurity, of fear of change.  In fighting change we have made things
dramatically worse. As I read Dominic Woolf's paper I was struck this
possibility.

Personally, I believe that terra preta was the result of a culture's deep
faith (probably so deep that no one thought about it) in nature, that the
best route toward sustainability was to adapt Her methods and accept Her
ways. Indeed, there was no other choice. And in choice-less-ness something
worked that produced a long-term sustainability. When change arrived that
was beyond their immune system capability they died off quickly.

Thus, I speculate (wonder really) that the micro response-ability of
nano-technology might be the next and more mature step expanding our
technological capacity for adaptation with nature in new, exciting and
mutually beneficial ways -- ways that no longer require so much sameness and
control.

Beware of the fearful!

OK, that's a bit more musing than I anticipated. My apologies to those who
might feel that bandwidth should be saved for nitty-gritty details.

hugs and blessings,

lou

--
http://lougold.blogspot.com