[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

gordon eliott gordoneliott0 at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 6 03:09:51 CDT 2008

why are tropical soils poor? no humus - which gets eaten by humus eating
termites
why are temperate soils often so rich? termites do not survive in the cold.

i suggest http://charles_w.tripod.com/laterite.html for some deep soil
philosophy with an informed evolutionary perspective.
it seems to me that terra preta is an inadvertant discovery of providing a
place where microbes and nutrients can reside (like the humus of temperate
soils). termites can digest the long chain cellulose molecules - but not
carbon.
best wishes
gordon eliott