[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

David Hirst .com david at davidhirst.com
Sun Apr 6 06:11:28 CDT 2008

Kevin,

I do so agree with you about the importance of hypothesis & speculation. What if is a
necessary and important first step.

I suspect to become "scientific" hypothesis has to have two further features:

1.       It must not violate known facts or deeply established theories. This can be very
demanding as there is so much known that might need to be recognised.

2.       It must be "falsifiable". That is there should be some tests or experiments you
could do that would produce results that disprove the hypothesis.

If no tests have yet been discovered that show the hypothesis to be false, it becomes
reasonable to adopt it as "provisional" truth, and use it in your planning and
decision-taking. Just as we adopt the law of gravity as the best explanation around for
planetary movement, and only tweak it when we include relativity.

I am not sure a hypothesis can be "proven", merely accepted as the best explanation we
have.

Does this mean that a hypotheses has an associated test, whereas speculation is a
predecessor, giving a model upon which one can construct experiments?

Speculation is still quite fun.

Cheers

David

David Hirst