[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 6 16:11:52 CDT 2008

Hi Lou,

I think that is a super question!  Do fired pottery shards in the soil play a completely different role than a bio-geo-chemical role?  Maybe the fired pottery shards are just harder and change the mechanical stability or the soil, preventing run-off?  Does the heavy rainfall wash away soil from around TP mounds containing shards?  Are TP soil formations in low-lying areas, ravines and etc., and are not washed out like other ravines?

No crock-of-... I mean chamber pot of human offal hypothesis here.  It's just rock-like pottery shards don't let the nutrient holding charcoal wash away.