[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 6 17:38:33 CDT 2008

What if it was not all at once?    Hundreds of years of making pots and when
they broke they made new ones from specific sources of clay ( after all not
all clay is suitable for pot making ) and those specific sources would
probably be reachable by boat - a few days journey for enough clay to make a
few hundred pots.

It is quite possable that the pot were made at the source of the clay, and
then transported to where they were used - the fact that spiculas of
freshwater sponge and the skeletons of fresh water diatoms were also found
in TP pottery shards, makes me wonder if the source of the clay didn't come
from a fresh water lake ( even one that was seasonal in nature ) or other
still body or water.

Greg H.