[Terrapreta] Farm Scale Batch Charcoal Furnace for Homestead or Farm

AJH list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 03:59:19 CDT 2008

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:32:50 -0400, Jeff Davis wrote:

>David,
>
>That the basic idea behind the Gas-of-Fire 1000:
>
><http://www.puffergas.com/gasoffire/gasoffire.html>

Yes Jeff that's much what I was suggesting in my penultimate
paragraph.

You get a fast start and good flame, how dry are the chips?

The gasifier at camp lejeune?? seemed to function like this, rejecting
a large amount of char/ash instead of turning it to CO, and producing
a high quality gas to run an engine.

In charcoal making terms this is a form of kiln rather than the retort
system I earlier mentioned, the difference will be the yield of char,
up to 40% in the retort with commensurate lower fixed carbon and I'm
not surprised at the 10% yield you report.

AJH