[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

gordon eliott gordoneliott0 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:52:09 CDT 2008

dear jim,
so is humus the same as OM?
and if cellulosic OM (which acts as a hiding place for nutrients as well as
water and microbes) gets eaten by termites then will there not will be less
of it?.
just as there will be much less of it if it is also "oxidized" (do you mean
fungal decay? in hot and humid conditions.
am i right in thinking that the best soil is what nurserymen use - peat?
and that plants have adapted to do their best in all sorts of inferior
soils?.
charles weber, like you, also talks a lot about mineral turnover or flows.
http://charles_w.tripod.com/laterite.html
best wishes
gordon eliott