[Terrapreta] Farm Scale Batch Charcoal Furnace for Homestead orFarm

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 7 20:02:27 CDT 2008

I have a 200,000 BTU outdoor wood burning furnace 100' from my house.  I have burned 10-12 full 4'x4'x8' cords of red and white oak each winter since 2001.  I get 10 (or 20) cords of oak logs delivered every year (it's about ~2 tons cord green, 10 cords on a 40' flatbed).  I have to cut 10-12 cords of 8' logs into <36" pieces for the furnace (3 x 32" = 96", 2 cuts), split more than half of it, and stack it next to the furnace each year.
My 17 year old son, Kevin, helps now.  With a chainsaw, a power splitter, splitting wedges and sledges, a four-wheel drive ATV, a trailer, and a covered woodshed, it takes us both 5-6 weekends, all weekend, in the summer and fall to ready the winters wood.  We heat a 4200 sq foot, two story log house, we make no charcoal, as yet, and we do not harvest combustible fuel gases.

An atmospheric pressure pyrolysis reactor/furnace, which could simultaneously produce an extraordinarily efficient 35-40% yield if "fixed Carbon" (fC) and 200,000 BTU of sensible heat would either produce little or no combustible fuel gas, or heat, or would need to have both a high throughput and extraordinarily efficient performance.  I load our furnace in the winter about 1 cord of dry oak every 1 1/2 weeks, twice a day  (~3500 lbs dry every 21 days).

The manufacturer of the furnace I own, HeatMor, claims 70% efficiency with a water only.  It's rated at 200,000 BTU/hr (200CCSS).
I thought about sucking air down through its chimney, out the bottom and burning the ejected gas to make charcoal inside it.  It would have been cumbersome to remove the charcoal.

If one wanted to produce a 25-35% fC yield from the biomass, this would reduce by about 50-60%, the amount of chemical energy from the biomass that would be available for heating (or harvesting combustible fuel gases).  Only 28-35% (0.70 * 0.40-050) of the biomass energy would ever make it to warming the house.  This means, that if I wanted to make charcoal at 25-30% yield and still heat the house, Kevin and I would need split more than 3-4 times as much wood as we do now.  And all we would get for our labors is charcoal and heat.

If you add harvesting combustible fuel gases to the desired product stream, then this will decrease the other two or increase the total amount of biomass feedstock, which is required.  Unless the system is highly automated and there is a ready cheap available source of a large feedstock usable biomass for that particular reactor design, then getting combined heat and electricity CHP from biomass isn't doable.

You might try to make an energy budget estimate for your farm, then convert that to BTUs and see how much biomass you'd need at say run at 70% heat efficiency and 35% KWe efficiency.  Then figure in tons of wood multiplied by the labor cost of the steps to process it; cut it, split it, chip it, stack it, lift it, move it, load it, unload it, etc.